Sunday, April 29, 2012

Our New Areas of Expertise

Through our many exploits in New Mexico, Dean and I have accumulated a great number of new skills, which we proudly think will help us as we forge our way into Real Adulthood. Our new areas of expertise include cooking, gardening, art...  let me show you just a few new titles we can add to our names:

Master Potters/Artists (just look at the detail in Dean's mug - especially the artful lean to the right. Or my personal favorite, Bekah's half-exploded plate on the left):


Master Gardeners:

 Dean painstakingly tries to yank our new Calla Lily out from its box by the stems

 When that doesn't work, I just resort to cutting it out with scissors

SEE?! Master Gardeners.


To be fair, we've figured out that we really are both pretty good cooks.  Dean's favorite tradition of ours is the "Korean breakfast," which is an expanded version of the breakfast my mom used to make for me in high school. 


We put a mixture of dried beans (kidney, black, and soy) and brown rice in a bowl to soak the night before, and then put it in the rice cooker the next day along with white rice and barley.  Once that's done cooking, we lay a fried egg on top, and then mix it all together with a splash of sesame oil and soy sauce.  We eat it with dried seaweed and of course, kimchi (can any Korean meal be complete without it?), fresh fruit and coffee. My mom has instilled the belief in me that fresh fruit has magical curative properties, and now that she's not around to cram a grapefruit into my mouth every time I walk by, I have to pick up the slack.  We eat so many mangoes (and occasionally kiwis) that we buy them by the case at Costco.  Along with Q-tips. I will never understand how we go through so many Q-tips in such a short time.

Dean wins all the points for becoming the true master of all things coffee. To make us coffee EVERY MORNING, he goes through the process of grinding fresh beans (thanks to the coffee grinder from Granny!), boils the water to exactly 200°F, and steeps it for exactly 4 minutes in the French press before pouring me a cup so I can function like a normal human being. 

Dean's favorite part of Korean breakfast is the dried seaweed, (the Korean word is κΉ€, pronounced "kim"), that we cut into little squares and eat with the egg rice. 

Nom nom nom

YUM.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment